More than 1.8 million students attend 116 California community colleges, one of the largest educational systems in the United States. Yet, despite the size of the system and depth of our campuses, and many years of investments in academic programming, fee waivers and campus improvements, our students are increasingly stepping away from their academic paths and struggling to access work-based learning and jobs that can lead to economic mobility. This is particularly true for our students of color and low-income students. We must do better.
On Tuesday, November 8, 2022, Pasadena City College, the new lead for the Los Angeles Regional Consortium and an economic development and workforce development leader for the San Gabriel Valley is hosting its 4th Annual Future of Work Conference, to bring together faculty, government, industry and college leadership to discuss ways to increase work-based learning and economic mobility for our students. The FOW Conference seeks to identify the challenges of connecting students to high demand jobs, including outdated regulations, bureaucratic rigidity, and longstanding misconceptions regarding the role of the community colleges and to further identify and advance legislative and operational solutions to overcoming these barriers to success.
The FOW Conference will focus on critical trends, challenges and opportunities, including:
- Declining Enrollment: Understanding and addressing downtrends in headcount and fulltime enrollment, particularly for students of color and low-income students.
- Career Mobility Strategies: Exploring ways to boost work-based learning and improve employer engagement for our students.
- Regulatory Strategies: Addressing the bureaucratic and regulatory obstacles that get in the way of meeting the needs of our learners and proposing solutions overcome those obstacles.
- Collaborative Strategies: Regional approaches to strengthening college enrollment and student economic mobility.
- Tuesday — November 08, 2022
8:00AM - 12:00PM
- PCC Westerbeck Recital Hall
1570 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
Pasadena City College
Since 1924, Pasadena City College has provided the greater Pasadena area with a high quality, innovative learning environment that inspires, supports and facilitates student learning and success.