As we prepare for the arrival of the latest tech gadgets in our stockings and wrapped nicely under the tree, let’s also embrace the spirit of giving back throughout the holidays. Local groups at Spokeo and Idealab have set examples of great ways to contribute to deserving efforts.
Following the disastrous Typhoon in the Philippines, Idealab and its operating companies collectively donated more than $12,000 to the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. They will also be participating in their 13th annual toy drive with Hathaway-Sycamores Child & Family Services granting wishes for all of the home’s 70 or so residential boys as they’ve done year after year.
Spokeo volunteers recently adopted a meal at the Union Station Homeless Services cooking dinner for more than sixty residents in the Pasadena Adult Center. The people search company will also be sponsoring families through Mother’s Club in Pasadena’s “Adopt-a-family program” and providing a donation for the multi-generational learning center to buy iPads for its pre-school classroom.
To learn about opportunities with these deserving groups or for ideas on how to get your team involved in other opportunities please see the following:
Toy Drives and “Adopt-a-family” opportunities:
* Hathaway-Sycamores Child & Family Services Toy Drive: email Andi Sica, Director of Special Events & Community Relations
* Mother’s Club Adopt-a-Family: email Silvana, Program Director
* Hillsides Holiday Drive: email Laura Kelso, Director of Community Resources and Volunteers
* Spark of Love Toy Drive: simply collect new, unwrapped toys, sports equipment and gift cards for infants, children and teenagers and drop them off at the Pasadena Fire Stations 31 – 39 through Dec. 24. For more information contact here.
* Pasadena Child Development Associates Toy Drive benefiting children with Autism: Drop off new, unwrapped and non-battery operated toys at any of the 10 participating Pasadena businesses now through December 13th. For more information contact Julia Schneibmeir at (626) 793-7350 x284.
Meal Hosting with Union Station Homeless Services in Pasadena:
* Union Station Homeless Services Adopt-a-meal: Provide nutritional and fully balanced meals for 70 Pasadena residents at the adult center or 50 hot, nutritious dinners for families at the Family Center. Contact here.
If you have a suggestion for a deserving volunteer or giving opportunity, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.